Wednesday, December 2, 2015

For Breastfeeding Mamas:How To Increase Milk Supply

" For you will nurse and be satisfied at her comforting breasts; you will drink deeply and delight in her overflowing abundance."  Isaiah 66:11

Yes, it is God's promise that we will satisfy our bundle of joys with heavenly goodness from our own breasts. But if you are a mom or a soon-to-be mom who is worried that you can't supply you little munchkin with enough breast milk, here are some ways that you can increase your milk production. 



1. Feed your baby on demand and regularly. If your baby is having a weight gain problem, you can feed her/him every 2 hours during day time and every 3 hours during night time. This way, your body can sense the need of producing more milk. 



2. Hand-express or pump milk in between feedings or nursing. Make sure that during hand expression or pumping of milk, your breasts are totally empty to equip your body to continue producing more milk for your little one.



3. Massage your breasts. Massaging your breasts can open the blocked ducts and can stimulate the rich , high in calorie hind milk let-downs.



4. Avoid or stop using pacifiers. Pacifiers can make your baby feel that he/she is full. This will lessen his/her appetite to suck on your breasts more often. The lesser the contact between your baby and your breasts , the lesser the stimulation , thus lesser production of milk. 



5. Control your stress , try to relax and take a rest. Because of hormonal issues, stress and sleep deprivation can lower your milk supply. So it is very important that you control your stress. Here are the things I do when I am stressed: 


  • I pray to God to take away the tremendous amount of stress that I am having. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." -Psalm 94:19- 
  • I watch a happy movie, or video where I can learn something from.
  • I do things I love , like setting goals and laying our budget. Hahaha
  • I do adult coloring activities. 
  • I try to get some sleep. 

6. Drink a lot of water since you will lost lots of it during the feeding. To protect your body from constipation, haemorrhoids, and lost of energy and focus, you need to drink enough water. I usually drink 6 liters of water a day. 

7. Watch your diet. Make sure that you are eating a healthy and balanced diet to produce a sufficient milk supply. Green leafy veggetables, good fats (avocado, eggs, salmon ) and protein rich foods are very nutritious for you. 

8. Avoid alcohol and smoking. 


9. Avoid large amount intake of caffeine from coffee , tea and chocolates. They can also alter your hormones leading to low milk supply. As for me, I am a coffee addict and at the same time a breastfeeding advocate so I drink only Mother Nurture's coffee. This coffee is really perfect for me and my breastfeeding journey. It has all of the following goodness:
  •  Safe for nursing moms
  • With Natural Ingredients ( MALUNGGAY, ASHITABA, STEVIA AND GOTU KOLA) that boost milk supply
  • Low caffeine content
  • Sweetener is  Stevia (a natural sweetener) which is good for those who suffer high sugar level 
  • Choco made from Native Cacao
  • Heavenly taste
  • Made for social mompreneurs
  • Locally made product
10. Stop using hormonal birth control for this can affect your hormones.


11. Use galactagogues. A galactagogue is  a food or drug that increases the flow of a nursing mother's milk. It came from  Greek Words " galak" ( milk ) and agogos ( leading). 


Retrieved from: www.facebook.com/WEMAKEMILK


12. Consult a breastfeeding consultant or advocate (just like me) if you think you need some help. We are happy to help you for FREE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment